Sunday, February 22, 2009

agility class and a new car


Our agility classes were in the afternoon yesterday, which meant we didn't get home until after 6PM. Both dogs were exhausted, and me too. We do much better when we have class in the morning.

Oreo and I had almost a private lesson again. Just Oreo and one other dog. It has been great having so much instruction, and time to work on new skills. We did a lot of front cross practice, which I really need to work on. I get confused easily about which way to turn, and where the dog is supposed to be in relation to me. Then, we did some obstacle discrimination, where the tunnel was under the A-Frame. Oreo did great, and chose the right obstacle each time. We also got some weave practice in. Oreo was thrilled to be running and jumping. I am going to sign Oreo and me up for an all day handling seminar in March. It is the day after our half day start line stay seminar, so I'm hoping he won't be too tired out doing two days in a row. From what I hear, we will learn a lot in both seminars, as the instructor is very good.

Misty's class progressed nicely this week. Misty got up on the A-Frame for the first time. The teacher just has the dogs work the bottom of the A-Frame at first, and practice the contacts. So, Misty just walked up halfway, and then turned around and did her target. She walked right up like she had done it a million times. I think all our living room jungle gym practice helped her out on that. The dogs also started doing the chute, which is also done very gradually. We only worked them through the chute out about halfway, and still open. Misty did it beautifully. Then, we did some jumps, including the tire. Misty went under the tire a couple times, but then she went through.

One woman in Misty's class said to me, "When you said she was 10, you meant 10 months, not ten years, right?"

Nope.

Today, I went out and bought a new car. This was a very difficult thing for me to do. I've had the same car for ten years, and it has given me no trouble. I always said I would drive the car until it fell apart. After this winter, I've decided that having all wheel drive would be a good idea, considering our driveway is very steep, and can be difficult to get up if covered in snow. Plus, the roads to our agility class can be quite treacherous if there is a sudden wind or snow squall.

The deals they have right now are really good, plus there's the tax credit from the stimulus package, so I found a small car with all wheel drive that I liked.

Of course all of my questions about the car were, "is the back seat comfy for the dogs", "can the dogs get in and out easily", "will this be good for my agility stuff?", etc. Hmmm, you can see where my priorities lie. Cruise control, air bags? Who cares.


DOG FRIENDLY CAR


I never thought I would buy a four door car! It just seems so suburban mom to me. Just the words "family car" make me cringe. But I guess, perhaps, I am a suburban "dog mom". I can always have my mid life crisis later.

11 comments:

Diana said...

When you bring your crates to make sure they fit in the test drive car, then you really know you have gone to the other side. LOL.

Lian said...

WOW! New Car? Lucky dogs! That looks like a brilliant little car.

Josh and Jess said...

We wouldn't trade our four door car for nothing... you can't beat a big dog-friendly car!!!

Josh and Jess said...

P.S. 'Suburban dog mom' - we like that!!

Dawn said...

Yep, you'll LOVE your 4 door car! Even getting stuff out (not dogs particularly) will be so much easier with the 4 doors! And it's CUTE! That's important too! And I have to say being a suburban dog mom is a very good thing.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

It's not like you bought a VAN! Nice new car - you will love having four doors.

Class sounded really good! Mom had tons of trouble with front crosses in the beginning but she is finally figuring them out. All of those agility moves are tough in the beginning. You'll get it in no time. Oreo and Misty both seem to be doing great! Wish we lived closer so we could practice together!

Rohan Shelties said...

Hi Misty and Oreo and Sara! Congratulations on your new car! Our mom bought her new car with us in mind too. She said that it was "uglier then sin" (whatever that means) but that it was safe for us, and it had no carpet so our Sheltie hair would be easy to get out. Its a neat car, even though it is SQUARE. We have a Honda Element...covered of course with Sheltie Stickers!
Good luck with the new car, and we're glad agility class went so well! We miss it A LOT so we really like reading your blog =0)
Sheltie Hugs,
Heidi, Shelby and Sheltie-Mom

Marybeth said...

Nice car Sara! Very cute. Is that the color you bought? I like it. Very smart to have 4 wheel drive! Can't believe you didn't think of it sooner. Did you trade in the acura or are you saving it for dad?

madcobug said...

We have a small car like that only it is silver. So far we haven't had any snow so we havent had to use the four wheel drive. It was strong enough to pull our fishing boat up pretty steep hills but we sold the boat before we actually used it for that purpose due to bad health. It's very good on gas. Helen

Brittany said...

Lol, I understand about upgrading to a bigger vehicle! I am going from a four door car to an SUV!! I guess that is what happens when you have dogs and a child.

Sara said...

MB,
That is the color I got - it is a blueish grey. Dad is considering upgrading to my car! I told him it would be a big step up from his jalopy. The heater works, the hatch stays up on its own, radio works, etc....