Sunday, January 11, 2009

that was easy

Ricky had shared a link with a method on teaching your dog to cross his paws. Well, the video gave me an idea for a whole new trick!

I couldn't wait to go to work the next day, so I could bring home one of my Staples "easy buttons". I have several.

If you don't know what an easy button is, you will soon find out (when you watch my video). I use them in my classroom all the time, for various purposes. Mostly, I use it after a student finally learns something they have been struggling with for a long time. I say, "Oh, we need the easy button!" They always laugh when I pull it out of my drawer, and tell them to "press the button".


I started working Oreo on this trick last night, and by this afternoon, he already knows what to do. I am still rewarding him just for getting his paw on the button, even if he doesn't press it hard enough. He is a tiny dog, and it does take some effort to depress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSZzeEejhjA





Staples just came out with a Spanish version of the easy button. I have been waiting for that forever. I ordered one today! So, Oreo will be bilingual. Kind of.

I can't wait to show my students this video on Monday! I think they'll get a kick out of it.

11 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

That's awesome Sara! Glad you found the video link helpful! Oreo is totally in to touching the easy button - wonder what Oreo and Misty think about the voice saying "that was easy"?

Lian said...

Hey Sara, I like the easy button. I may want to get one to reward myself! hehehe

Diana said...

Good job. You must be bored to be teaching all these tricks. Still more snow? Diana

Sara said...

Yes - we are buried in snow (got 8 more inches last night)! And it is freezing!

Ludo van puppy said...

He learned that really good! I love things that make a noise.
~lickies, Ludo

Diana said...

You are probably going to laugh but I worried all the way to and from class that you would be offended by what I said. I was just trying to be funny and kid you. But I can see by what you wrote that you were ok with what I said. Thanks, Diana

Sara said...

No worries Diana! I wasn't offended in the least :)

I have been going a bit crazy being stuck in the house since this last ice storm. We did get out today! Good thing, a few more days stuck inside and I might be training Oreo to sort the laundry for me. Hmmmm, not a bad idea.

Diana said...

Hey you have have one dog pull all the whites and one dog pull all the darks into a pile. Ha! Diana

madcobug said...

He sure catches on fast. Talking about the laundry I wish I had of had my video on today but I didn't see this happen. Ken was coming down the hall with an armload of bedclothes and thought he was dragging an article. He looked around and down and there was Daisy following him caring a mouthful of clothes, he said it looked as though she was helping him out LOL. I had a good laugh about that one. Dogs are so much company and so entertaining aren't they.
Hugs, Helen

Sara said...

I can picture that without the video! Perhaps Daisy thought she was helping? On second thought, probably not. Dogs are so silly.

betty said...

Amelia and I watched the video twice. Awesome!!! She wants to take him home and play zingo with him. Kids say the funniest things.