Saturday, January 10, 2009

sit, down, roll over

This is the second post in my "what my dogs do everyday" series. My first installment was my dinner and a cookie post. Stayed tuned for more to come, as I document my favorite things that my dogs do everyday.

When Oreo was a puppy, I trained him to sit and lie down by using his favorite ball. We still practice these skills with the ball every day. Oreo can do the commands without the ball when I really need him to, but I figure when we're just practicing we might as well have fun. Training has always been, and always will be a game for me and Oreo.

Being a special ed teacher for almost 15 years (yikes!), has taught me that making learning fun really works with kids, so why wouldn't it work with dogs? I know if I review for a test by playing a game of Bingo or Jeopardy, the kids do much better than if you had just gone over the information verbally. Plus, it is way more fun for me, although a bit more prepwork.

Here is a video of our obedience practice, if you can call it that. I love the way Oreo flops and slides himself on the ground when he goes into the down position. We always throw "stay" and "come" into this mix too, but it was too hard to video that with the tripod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnILFDz_Coo

Misty usually gets involved with the stay/come activity, but otherwise she just watches us in disbelief or goes to the window and watches the world go by. You will notice her try and nip Oreo a couple times, when he gets a bit too close. She always keeps him in line. My little babysitter.


"Just watching Oreo is exhausting. I can barely keep my eyes open."

3 comments:

Painter Pack said...

Misty looks like a great Oreo watcher!!!

Mya Boo Boo

Ricky the Sheltie said...

We love the "what I do every day" series! It's a great idea - we should be doing it too!

Oreo and Misty's comments are really funny!

Thanks for sharing another fun video!

Ludo van puppy said...

I love watching the videos! Keep making more please.
~lickies, Ludo