Monday, January 26, 2009

Go on


Below is a video of some of our agility practice from Sunday afternoon.

Oreo and I worked on our new "go on" command. I used treats today, but tomorrow I will switch to his ball. After watching the video, I can see he is too focused on coming back to me for his food. I tried baiting a target and putting it at the end of the jumps, but that wasn't working. I think the clear target was blending in with the snow, because Oreo kept running off to the side looking for the target, as if he had no clue where the target actually was. Strange, because I had shown the target to him before I brought him back to the jumps. All the whiteness can be blinding at times.

Now that I know Oreo understands what I mean by "go on", we will just make it a game with his ball. He'll be happier in the long run. We'll stick to using the treats at school, and the ball at home.

I also need to remember my hand signal, at one point my hand looked like a floppy fish, what's up with that???

Since I had the food outside, I thought it was a good time to refresh Misty on some things, so she will be at the head of her beginner's class! The video includes her teeter practice.

Misty is very scared of loud noises, i.e. thunderstorms, fireworks, gunshots. So, I want her to get used to the "bang" noise as much as possible before we get to the school building, where the sound will echo. I will also work on some target training with her inside during the week.


If our practices seem very chaotic and silly~they are. I am not a regimented person when it comes to my students or my dogs. My agility teacher made me feel better about this yesterday when she actually brought her dog to our class to play on the teeter, to encourage another dog to do the same. The dog in our class was scared of the teeter, and had been hesitant to get on. The playtime the teacher encouraged was completely chaotic and ridiculous, but in the end the dog was more comfortable putting his paws on the teeter. He wanted to be just like his friend. Whatever works, as long they're having fun and not getting hurt.

You can see it is still cold here. I fear this is another video where my nephew, Miles, will be saying, "Where's Sara's face?"

8 comments:

Ludo van puppy said...

They look like they have such fun learning with you. :D
~Dee

madcobug said...

They look so cute learning that. That Oreo already has it down pat. Of course he is faster because he is so much younger. I think Misty will soon learn though. Helen

Ricky the Sheltie said...

HaHa, "That was so easy, where's the button?" - Oreo is so funny! Poor Misty goes in one end of the tunnel and Oreo goes in the other - hilarious watching a dog appear out of each end! You're so dedicated to be out there in the cold and snow.

Only 53 days now!

By the way, our link to your blog was showing us only blogs labeled as agility and we didn't realize it until today. Sorry - we've been missing a lot of your posts! We'll fix the link now and hopefully not miss out on anything any more!

Lian said...

I think Misty is such a brave girl and she has learned a lot of agility lately.

Josh and Jess said...

Oreo, Misty isn't slow... she's a thinker!!! :) :)

Brittany said...

It looks like they are having fun despite the snow. Hobbs is a big baby about snow, so we practice in the living room!

I can't wait to hear about Misty's class, I am sure she will do great.

Dreadnought said...

Hi Sara, that snow sounds crisp and crunchy! Its right what you say that the lessons should be fun. It may look chaotic but the dogs seem to know whats going on. Bob.

Diana said...

I love the thought bubbles. Diana