Sunday, January 25, 2009

back to school

Our first day back to school began as a nightmare! The one road I usually take to get there was completely blocked off by the power company, and no detour was set up. I thought I could just loop around and pick up the road a bit further up the road, but somehow I picked it up too far down. Needless to say, I was LOST! How I wished I had brought a GPS with me. Oh, and if you are thinking, "Why didn't she stop to ask for directions?" There is nothing on these roads, but trees and the occasional trailer. After driving around aimlessly for 15 minutes, I recognized something (local racecar track) and knew where I was, but wasn't sure how to get to the school from that point. I fished around on the floor of my car (good thing I never clean my car), and found the directions I had printed out off the school's website. They had directions from various points in the area, so luckily I was able to figure it out. Our half hour trip ended up being 50 minutes, so we arrived late, and I was frustrated.

I was hoping Oreo wasn't picking up on my stress level. We started class with a refresher of contacts on the A-frame. Then did a jump, chute, A-Frame sequence. Oreo did it all with no problem. Then we did some table practice, especially getting the dogs to go to an immediate down. We did the table with a tire, tunnel sequence. Finally, we worked on the "go on" command.

I thought Oreo would get an "F" on that quiz! Wrong! He actually did really well. I baited a target, brought him to the opposite end, said "go on", and Oreo went over three jumps without me moving a muscle. I was so impressed. Usually, he is not that food motivated, and is typically so nervous in class that he wants to be by my side. Granted the teacher kept her distance (she is so understanding about that), and the rest of the class was at the opposite end of the building. Still, I was very proud of him. We will work on this some more at home this week.

Overall, I was really happy with Oreo's progress and confidence level.

The class went almost two hours, so I thought for sure the road would be open on our way home. Wrong! Still no detour! Ugh. Running out of gas. It's getting dark.

This time, I chose the right side road (I used to tutor at a group home on the road I turned on), and only added about five minutes to my trip home!

Note to self: never leave home without GPS.


I'm so lost! Where am I?

2 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sounds like Oreo was terrific in his class! "Go ons" are some times hard to do especially in a class with all those distractions, so it's great that he did it with no problem!

Sorry getting to the class was so difficult - mom hates that kind of stuff and hates to be late so she can really sympathize with you!

madcobug said...

I am glad that you found your way and Oreo didn't miss his class. Sounds like he did really good. His pictures are so cute, this entry and the next one also. Helen