Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ice Storm

We survived the ice storm. Boy, I hope we never have to endure another.

Late Thursday night, I awoke to car doors slamming, red lights flashing, then the sound of a chain saw. My immediate thought was a car slid off the road into the woods, and the firemen were trying to get to the car.

Luckily, it was just a tree down across the road. I peered out the window at the firemen, and could see the writing on the back of their coats. When I saw they were not from our town, but from a few towns away, I knew it must be worse than we thought it was going to be. I also noticed our furnace kick off and all our digital clocks go dark.

We went back to bed, but never got back to sleep. All night, we heard trees crashing down all around us. It was the scariest night of my life, as our house is surrounded by trees. The dogs cuddled up between us. Oreo snuggled under the covers.

Once daylight broke, we got to look around, and saw that we were lucky. None of our trees had fallen on our property. Just a few large branches. All day though, trees and limbs continued to fall. I let the dogs out to pee, and made them come right back inside. I was terrified a tree would fall on them. They were confused. Plus, they were having trouble getting traction on the ice. Luckily, we got some snow in the afternoon which helped.

We were able to keep warm with our wood stove. Our living room was in the 60's, while the rest of our house was in the forties. I don't know what we would have done without that stove.

On Saturday morning, we ran out of water. Since we are on a well, we need power to pump our water. Jeff went into our creek with giant plastic bins, filled those with water, so we could at least flush our toilet. Another luxury I don't like to be without.

Jeff, my wanna be a redneck husband, heated my water for coffee in the morning with a propane torch. It worked!

Anyway, I took lots of photos. While it was a difficult storm to endure (boy am I lost without power), there was true beauty to be had. I will never again complain about my electric bill being too high. Electricity is worth every penny, especially when it is 12 degrees outside. When the power trucks pulled up on our road, those men were like angels to me.

Here is a slide show of my photos, double click for larger ones, or click on the link below:


http://picasaweb.google.com/sjpblair/IceStorm?authkey=tR96Q-vxOLA#


It has been days since the dogs and I have done some agility. I am anxious to get back to some normalcy. I think the dogs are too. I decided yesterday that it was safe enough for them to play in the yard, and they took me up on the opportunity.

2 comments:

Josh and Jess said...

Oh man, we saw some pictures of the ice storm last night on television. Looks beautiful but for your poor folks living there it must be real bad. Hopefully everything will be back to normal real soon, no more crashing trees all around you and back to your agility training.

Take care, Josh and Jess

Ricky the Sheltie said...

The ice is so beautiful - too bad it causes such devastation! When we were without power in Sept. for a week it was a pain but we kept saying we were so lucky because the weather was so nice. I don't know how you all deal with no power when it means no heat! Thank goodness for your wood stove! Glad you made it through the worst of it safely!