Sunday, December 7, 2008

First Victim

I live on what the post office calls a rural route. Meaning, I have to walk a long distance to my mailbox, because it is clustered with a bunch of my neighbors'. It also means no one adheres to the 35mph speed limit, because it is not enforced.

My house is situated at the bottom of a very steep hill, that has a sharp turn, right before you reach my house. When people come speeding down the hill at a high rate of speed, this often leads to trouble - right in front of my picture window.

In the winter, watching the cars slipping and sliding off the road has become an interesting way to pass the time during the long, cold months. No one has ever gotten hurt (except the cars and people's wallets as they pay the tow truck driver to pull them out of the ditch), since snow acts as a good cushion. Unfortunately, snow also causes lousy traction. On snow days, the dogs and I settle on the couch by the picture window and wait to call the tow truck, whose number we keep on the refrigerator.

Today, the road claimed its first victim of the winter season. (notice red car in tree line)

Even on dry days, a car or two has met its demise on this section of roadway. The worst incident occurred just as I was coming home from walking the dogs. Right in front of our driveway, a Schwann's truck lost control coming around the curve and flipped on its side.

Schwann's makes home deliveries of frozen dinners and such. When the truck tipped, all the little doors on the truck opened, and out spewed dozens of tasty frozen meals. The local fire department spent much of the afternoon picking them up off the road.

If it had happened just a minute later, the dogs and I could have been smooshed by a hunk of frozen turkey. Instead, we got to watch the whole incident right in front of us.
We are still waiting for the unlucky soul to hit the newly installed fire hydrant that the town placed right in this "accident zone". We questioned the workmen when they came to put it in, "Do you know how many people drive off the road here in the winter?"

"We're just following directions," they told us.

That will be a bad day. Gushing water, and below freezing temperatures generally do not make for good driving conditions. Even for us die-hard northerners.

I tried to get the dogs to do some snow agility, but they were too concerned with all the activity going on out on the road.

6 comments:

Diana said...

O, you are so luckey to have snow. We love the Schwan man. He delivers to us every other week. Diana

Lian said...

I want some snow!! Oreo and Misty look beautiful in the snow!

Sara said...

Our local weatherpeople have a sliding scale on which they measure snow fall amounts. This snowfall was under the - "nuisance" variety.

Enough to see some white stuff, but not enough to bother getting out a shovel or to interrupt any shopping plans.

I'm looking forward to our first "moderate" snowfall. I can't wait to take some photos of the dogs in some real snow!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

We got about the same amount of snow as you guys - mom and I drove home from grandpa and grandma's house on Saturday and saw lots of people who had slid off the side of the road or had just plowed into another car.....we would hate to live on a road like your's! Be careful out there!

Ludo van puppy said...

What a very exciting bit of road you lives on! I likes to look out of the window too. I stand on the back of the chair. This snow stuff doesn't seem very good.
~lickies, Ludo

Dreadnought said...

I reckon that will be a fun day when some one hits that new fire hydrant. I had to smile at the thought of the firemen picking up all that food. Bob.