Thursday, December 11, 2008

6 poles for Misty

Here is a video of Misty doing 6 weave poles down our hallway, during an ice storm. She really has improved since Tuesday. We've had to spend a lot of time indoors due to the weather, and weaving has been a good way to keep the dogs occupied.

I am hoping to get a few inches of snow on top of the inch of ice they are forecasting. That way the dogs can get some traction, and we can play outside tomorrow. I am also hoping for a snow day, but am betting on a two hour delay. We'll see.

While Oreo is awfully cute, he was blocking the view of Misty's wonderful progress. So, halfway through the video, I decided to bribe him with a Texas toothpick (I think it is a cow tail, although toothpick sounds better to us former vegetarians) to keep him away from the jerky in my hand.

It is tricky trying to train two dogs at once. They both want to do it at the same time. I guess I need to turn on Sesame Street so they can learn to take turns.

With the weave poles being indoors, I have been working with Oreo on having him weave without me going along on the side with him. It is a challenge, but Oreo is getting better. As long as there is a lot ball throwing involved, it is easy to keep him interested in weaving.

2 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Misty is making great progress! If you wanted you could alternate with the dogs one doing a down/stay and the other doing agility - that way they would get practice for startline stays at the same time. Just a thought. But I enjoy seeing them doing the obstacles together!

Ludo van puppy said...

oh look at her. :D
I tried to link to your blog (under Ludo's orders, of course) but it wont work. :/ Anyway round it you know of?
~Dee (ludo's mum)