Thursday, October 23, 2008

backyard agility practice

video

Here is a video of some stuff Oreo and I have been working on in the backyard.

A few weeks ago, I came across a blog of a young agility handler. She had a video with her border collie doing jumps all lined up next to each other, and I was very impressed. So, I thought I'd give it a go.

Oreo and I had only been practicing jumps lined up one in front of the other, which is pretty simple. This was completely foreign territory to both of us. I had to learn how to tell Oreo what I wanted him to do.

Once I got my hand signals down, Oreo pretty much took it from there. It took us several weeks, but Oreo is now a pro. At least, I think so (I'm somewhat biased). I only wish I had one more jump. I think that would make it even more of a challenge. Hmmmm...I wonder if Jeff could squeeze a quick jump building project in between one of his chopper building projects.

I am still struggling with working the weave poles on my left side. It is just so awkward for me.

Anyway, hope you enjoy our follies! You'll see Oreo just loves that orbee ball. You'll also see that when I lose all my energy, he loses interest too.

(if you got this post via email goto my blog to see the video: www.saralovesdogs.blogspot.com )

7 comments:

Dreadnought said...

Hi Sara, that was great, not that I'm an expert or anything, I just love to see the dog having all that fun. I like the way the other dog just watches. My dog Tommy would never be able to do anything like that, he has no agility at all. Tippy would have been okay but she is a bit old now. Bob.

Sara said...

Bob,
Tommy may not be agile, but any dog who can bring his owner a can of beer has talent! I know my dogs would never be able to do that. Sara

Lian said...

Oreo is really enjoying his agility and his weave is brilliant!

For the three jumps in a row, we call them "snake", you can actually slightly angle the jumps to make them like a zig zag to begin with and before you notice it, he will do the snake when you send him.

Sara said...

I didn't know what we were doing actually had a name. It is like a "snake". We will have to try the "zip zag".

Thanks - for the tip Lian!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Hey, you all look great in your backyard practice! Mom and I do lots of practices that are very similar to that. And we watch YouTube videos of other people with their dogs to get ideas of how to set up sequences in the yard. Good luck with your new class tomorrow!

Lian said...

Hi Sara,

email me at: knightlian at yahoo dot co dot uk and I will email you the sequences.

Lian

betty said...

What a great circle of enthusiast.
This is what blogging is all about.
Oreo looks ready for new challenges. He'll make you beam.