Saturday, October 4, 2008

agility class 4

Chilly day for our class today. At least I got to wear long sleeves, to ward off the bees. Last week I got stung, and my arm still itches.

Our instructors took advantage of the cooler weather, and set up some long sequences for us to run our dogs through.

We started off as a large group doing about 15 jumps, an A-Frame, and a dog walk. Repeat.

Then, we ran our dogs through a 12 foot tunnel, over a jump, over the 6 foot wall, through another 12 foot tunnel, and then the closed tunnel. Repeat.

Oreo did great, until he got to the closed tunnel.

I'm not sure why he is having a problem going through the chute in class. He has no problems with his at home, in fact he loves it. When I brought him to his school on Monday to practice using their tunnel, he went through it ten times without hesitation.

Perhaps, the other dogs are making him nervous, and when he goes into the chute, he loses sight of me. We will have to keep working on that.

Then, we split into our large dog/small dog groups. This time, we did a sequence of tire, tunnel, tire, A-frame, dog walk, and a couple jumps. Repeat. I let Oreo off his leash for those sequences, and he did it all perfectly.

After a few practice weave poles, we were on to the slide.

Since when is a slide an agility obstacle?

I really thought this was crazy. It was a slide that you would find at a child's playground. They wanted us to have our dog walk up a staircase, lay down at the top, and slide.

Are we training our dog to join the circus?

I really didn't see the point. Oreo must have sensed my discomfort, and really wanted no part in this activity. He grudgingly went down the slide, then quickly ran to the nearby table, hopped on and sat politely. As if to say, "Can we get back to the real agility stuff already?"

After the ridiculous slide, we finished with Oreo's favorite - the teeter.

Oreo must have been impressing the teacher, because on our last turn, he said, "Oreo really looks like he is ready to teeter at full speed. I want you to run with him this time."

So, I jogged up there with Oreo, said "teeter", then "wait" while the board came down, and Oreo went barreling off the end.

Class was over.

The teacher came right over to me, and asked, "Are you planning on getting Oreo involved in competitions?"

"Maybe," I said.

"Well, I saw you out here practicing with him the other day," he said. "You need to keep practicing, and start running with him. Oreo is doing really good, but he wants to go faster. When I told you to run on that last teeter, I meant run, you did more of a fast walk."

I guess I better eat my Wheaties.

No comments: