Wednesday, August 13, 2008

sunbathing

It is 4 PM, and not a drop of rain has fallen yet....I can't remember the last time that has happened.

The minute the sun was high enough for a strip of sunshine to reach the backyard, the dogs were out sunbathing. They must have been missing the sun too.

It was the perfect opportunity to try out Misty's new Chillybuddy coat, which reflects sunlight and lowers a dog's body temperature 30%.

I put it on Misty, and let her wear it for about 30 minutes while she lay napping in the sun. Then, I put my hand under the coat, and her fur was nice and cool, especially compared to the fur on top of her head (which was on fire).
Misty really suffers when it is hot. Usually on hot afternoons, she would be seeking the cool rocks, under the pine tree, or digging herself a hole in the dirt to lay in. This coat seemed to help keep her comfy, and allowed her to sunbathe. You can also wet the inner cotton layer for additional, evaporative cooling, which I will try on days when it is hotter.

I think she looks ready to join NASA!

No comments: