Friday, August 15, 2008

tree is down

Well, the tree is down. Our tree guy came yesterday. After a lot of yelling, relatively little chain saw noise, one big thud, and two hours the job was done.

The tree was in the corner of our property, basically landlocked amongst our two other neighbors' properties, right along the creek bed. I had no idea how anyone would get the tree down without damaging other trees, houses, sheds, playhouses or knocking down our fence.

My mom said, "Oh, they have all this new equipment now."

"Oh, we don't pay for people who have fancy equipment," I tell her.

No, we are cheap. We pay for the people who don't have equipment.

Jeff was having a hard time paying anyone to come do this job. Except for our lawn guy (Jeff's one luxury), Jeff hates to pay people to do anything he thinks he can do.

I knew Jeff was seriously contemplating chopping the tree down himself. I gave him the number of our tree guy, but he was reluctant to call. He said, "I think I could do it, if I roped it off, blah, blah, blah...."

So, I was surprised when the guy showed up to give us an estimate. When he gave me the price, I immediately said, "OK, do it." Thinking, I'd save us a trip to the ER.

A few days later, the tree guy shows up in shorts and a t-shirt with his son, a chain saw, and a truck.

I said, "Hi, have at it." I went back in the house, and tried to ignore what was going on outside.

There was a lot of yelling.

I looked outside, and saw a lot of branches covering my backyard. I saw they had moved my garden bench out of the way. How considerate. I went back to the crossword puzzle.

Then, I heard their truck backing out of the driveway. Are they done???

I peeked out the front window, and saw the young kid standing on the driveway, looking up in the sky in the direction of the tree. Then, I noticed a rope tied to the truck.

I realized they were using the truck as a winch to get the tree back into an upright position, so he could climb the tree and safely cut it down. How did they think to do that?

I went to the bedroom window to look at the tree. Indeed, it was back to its original stately, straight self. Then, I saw the tree guy don his tree climbing shoes, and he climbed that tree like it was level ground!

Chain saw is out....

Back to the sudoku.

Soon, I hear a knock at the door.

They're done.

I tell him, "I don't know how you do it."

I hand him the check and say thanks.

He says, "Thanks, it was a thrill."

This guy is nuts.

Jeff gets home from work, and is grumbling about how the tree guy's truck left gouges in our lawn. I start explaining how they had to use the truck to pull the tree back into the upright position. I expected Jeff to be surprised by this bit of information, and awed, like I was.

Jeff says, "That's what I was going to do, I can't believe I paid this guy money to do what I was planning to do."

No comments: