Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I speak for the trees

We finally got a brief break from the rain this morning. I went out in the yard to clean up some of the aftermath from the hail storm yesterday. I was cleaning up sticks, when I noticed a tree didn't look quite the same. I looked up and then down. The ground under the tree didn't look the same. I realized the tree had been uprooted from the creek flowing faster and higher than usual. I ran to catch Jeff before he pulled out of the driveway.


"I think we have a problem," I tell him.

The problem with living amongst trees, is that every year, one or two has to come down.

For me, it is always heartbreaking. I hate to take down a tree.

Jeff hates what it does to our bank accounts. Tree removal isn't cheap.

I hate what it does for our landscape, the privacy we lose, and our diminished oxygen level.

Every time I hear I chain saw, I cringe. I look out the window, searching for the source.

Chain saws are common around here, almost every weekend, one neighbor has theirs powered up. Hacking away at some 100 year old branches. Making way for a new basketball hoop.

All I can hear is the Lorax in Dr. Seuss' book saying, "I speak for the trees! I speak for the Truffala trees...", over and over in my head. I feel like I am letting him down.

I know each time we take a tree down, another sapling will begin to flourish in its place, now that sunlight can reach the ground. Still, I feel like we are doing something wrong, even if the tree was dying or dead. It had been there longer than us. Was it something we or our neighbors did that caused it's demise?

I wonder if I am the only adult who continues to live her life based on lessons found in her childhood storybooks ~ thanks Dr. Seuss and Beatrix Potter.


Tree in the middle, behind the birdhouse (tree that is leaning) is the one that is uprooted. Yesterday, it was standing up nice and straight.

No comments: