Thursday, July 31, 2008

no rocks around here

I feel this may be the most important election of my lifetime. I decided to support my chosen candidate by ordering a t-shirt, lawn sign, and campaign button from his website.

I told Jeff I ordered the lawn sign, but Jeff didn't think putting the sign in front of our house was a good idea. He suggested it could provoke some vandalism from opponents. I thought he was being ridiculous. This is America. We are a civilized country. We are free to support who we want, and respect others for having different opinions.

A few days ago, I wore my campaign t-shirt to the grocery store. I went to my favorite check out girl. I always choose her when she is working, because I find her amusing. She often picks up items I am buying and makes fun of them, asks if she can try something, and offers some of my dog treats to the baggers.

She looked at my t-shirt and said, "How many people have told you they hate your shirt?"

I said, "No one. I haven't had any rocks thrown at me yet."

She said, "Well, it's a good thing there aren't any rocks around here."

I laughed.

Later, I thought about what she said. If I hadn't known her, I really could have taken that the wrong way. It was kind of a threatening remark. I'm sure her boss wouldn't have liked her saying that to a customer.

If I hadn't known she was a jokester, I'm not sure how I would have felt about her comment. Although, I was the one who brought up the rocks.

Maybe Jeff is on to something about our sign provoking vandalism. I haven't put it on the lawn yet, our town doesn't allow political signs to be put up until a few weeks before the election.

I guess I can always keep the sign in a safe place for the next 25 years, and then see how much its worth. I certainly don't want rocks thrown at our house, all because of a political campaign sign.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have your Dukakis Bentsen pin in a drawer...now 20 years old.. wonder if Jeff can find anyone to buy it?

Sara said...

Hard to believe that is 20 years old already! I remember being 5 feet from Dukakis, by sheer luck, in a parking garage in Newark after a rally.

It was so exciting. Would have been more exciting if he had won.

I'm sure the pin would be worth more if he had won too.