Sunday, July 6, 2008

the mount

Jeff and I spent the day touring Edith Wharton's home, The Mount, in Lenox, Mass. The place is in danger of foreclosure, due to lack of funding. This may be the last year it is open to tourists. I am so glad we made the trip, and highly recommend it to everyone.

I have been wanting to create a structured garden on the side of my house (presently a weedy mess), and knew that The Mount had some spectacular gardens. I thought I could go there for some ideas.

Boy, did I come home with some inspiration.

Jeff and I fought over the camera all day. I wanted to make sure I got photos of what I wanted, and he wanted to make sure he got what he wanted.

Jeff is excited that I finally want to add a garden that has some symmetry and order to it. He likes my garden, but prefers something with clean lines (like a motorcycle). Typically, I like my garden to be rather disorderly and crowded. Less weeding that way.

What I learned, from Edith Wharton's gardens, is you can have symmetry and still have a touch of magic.

I don't know much about Edith Wharton, but the moment I saw that she had a pet cemetery, I knew we were kindred spirits. There were five headstones for her precious little dogs, tucked under some trees on a hill. What lucky dogs to have lived in a place with such beauty.

Here is a slide show from our garden tour. If you want to see bigger photos, double click on the photos, and you should get redirected to picasa. If that doesn't work, go to this link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sjpblair/TheMount

Now, I will be searching for the round centerpiece of my new garden. I am thinking of a birdbath, surrounded by impatiens....

No comments: