Monday, July 14, 2008

have I lost it?

OK, I think I'm losing it. Maybe its hormones or the high iron levels or the new medication I'm on, but what I saw in the road today brought me to tears. Really.

For years, we have had a woodchuck, or similar like animal, living in the ditch line that runs under our driveway. We don't see him often, but every once in a while we catch a glimpse of his head popping up. Sometimes, he scurries across the driveway. He's cute and harmless.


We were wondering last year what would happen to him after the sinkhole ruined his home. Would he move on? Did he survive the reconstruction?

So, we were excited when we had our first sighting of him after the new culvert had been installed. Apparently, Mr. Woodchuck was happy living in his brand new rust free home.

Today, I was pulling out of the driveway, looked to my right to check for traffic, and saw our beloved woodchuck lying dead in the road. I immediately got choked up, and didn't know what to do. I was blocking traffic, because I had inched my way out to see beyond our neighbor's weeds. Do I pull out, and go about my day like I didn't care, or back up and do what? I chose not to get hit by the truck coming up the road and punched the car forward.

Heartless.

When I got home, Mr. Woodchuck was still there. I decided to get a closer look. Maybe it was not really him. Maybe it was a different animal.


Wishful thinking. It was definitely him. There was no blood, so I took that as a good sign. He must have died on impact. He looked so peaceful, as though he was just taking a long nap. I double checked to see if he was breathing. He wasn't.

I put the big lens on the camera, and took a photo to remember him by.

Poor little woodchuck.
Jeff said he will get the woodchuck off the road when he gets home from work, and give him a proper woodchuck burial. At least I won't have to see him on the road again tomorrow.

Do you think I need to ask my doctor for a referral?

1 comment:

Lian said...

Oh poor little soul! I hate to see dead animals on the road! Hope Jeff has given his a peaceful place to rest forever.