Thursday, July 10, 2008

dog days of summer

The heat wave has finally broken. The weather has been so hot and humid the past few days, it has been unbearable. It has been miserable, and so have I.

The dogs have done nothing but move from one cool floor to another. Oreo has been sleeping under the kitchen table for some reason. Maybe he thinks the table provides some shade?

Today, there is a wonderful cool breeze, and it is actually below 70. Heaven! Misty chased Oreo around the yard for the first time in days. It was like she was celebrating. It is officially the dog days of summer, so she should be celebrating. She really suffers in the heat.


http://picasaweb.google.com/sjpblair/DogDays

The good things about the summer heat are starting to come into fruition. I have been picking fresh black berries in the cemetery to put in my cereal. We had our first taste of this season's sweet corn last night. There really is nothing better than summer sweet corn on the cob. Yum. No butter, no salt, just the corn boiled for two minutes.

I noticed this morning that I have a few red cherry tomatoes on my own plants already. That is early for me. I guess it paid off to risk planting a few weeks before memorial day. A tomato right off the vine is like beef jerky to a dog.

My doctor told me this week that I have excessively high iron levels in my blood. Just call me Iron Woman. I have been doing lots of googling about iron rich foods, and one is shellfish. Lobster isn't really a shellfish right? I mean, it doesn't look anything like a fish. Regardless, I will still be eating lobster everyday on our trip to Maine, even if that means donating a couple pints of blood to the red cross when I come home! Eat lobster, save a life - can be my new mantra.

That's what summer eating is all about - berries, corn, tomatoes, and lobster.

Before you know it, school will be back in session. Staples already had their first 1cent sale on Sunday. I bought folders, pencils and purell all for 1 penny! Oh, and FREE retractable highlighters. I walked out of there with two bags full of school supplies for $2.50.

No comments: