Saturday, June 21, 2008

Summer solstice and memory lane


I read an article in the paper today about fuchsia plants. I have always admired them at the local nursery, but never knew much about them. I didn't even know they were called fuchsia. So, I was excited to read about them.

Fuchsias love shade, which I have a lot of. Hummingbirds love them, and I could always use more hummingbirds in my yard, as they are the coolest bird ever.


The best part was that it was on sale!


I have my first blue hydrangea of the season in bloom today. I just love hydrangea.

My friend, from high school, and I took a trip down memory lane today. It has been 20 years since we graduated from high school.

Really.

We decided to take a trip to our high school and see if it looks the same.

We pulled into the parking lot, and saw the doors were wide open. A maintenance worker was inside, and asked if he could help us.

"Can we just do one loop around the school?"

"Sure," he says.

Boy, that's some good security they have there!

Doors were unlocked, even the auditorium. Clearly, this is a suburban high school.

The school had done some renovations, but most things were still the same. The lockers, paint color, stair cases, pool and gym hadn't changed. Even the wing by the band room had the same smell. The chairs, music stands, and band folders were eerily familiar. Every day for four years, I started my day with band, except when period 7 took period 1 (my school had a crazy scheduling system only alumni can understand).

The desks were all lined up in the gym, ready for exams. They still assign letters and numbers to each desk, so each student knows where to sit. "You will be in desk G4," the teachers would tell us as if it were a battleship game.

Our Russian classroom was sadly transformed into a computer classroom. I was hoping to see the narrow classroom with the floor to ceiling chalkboards on 3 walls, where we would conjugate our verbs.

It's hard to believe that people still go to school there. When we had been students, it felt like the place belonged to us, and that once we left it would cease to exist. All adolescents feel the world revolves around them. That has never changed.

While I have many good memories from high school, you couldn't pay me enough to endure those years again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Misty and Oreo are grinning from ear to ear. They know that summer has arrived. I hope Peter doesn't like the Fuchsia. Your guys will be on full alert to notify you.

Sara said...

I haven't seen Peter in a long time. I am hopeful that he found some of the other neighborhood bunnies, and he is now living with them in the cemetery.

Perhaps he was chased one too many times by Misty.

betty said...

Well done, Misty. Keep up the good work.