Thursday, December 13, 2007

one last walk

How could this happen again? I take my dogs for what I knew would be their last walk for several days, with two snow storms on the way. We walk less than half a mile, when a huge St. Bernard comes charging across a very busy road and immediately takes Oreo in his mouth. I screamed at the top of my lungs, hoping the owner would rush out and control his dog. Then, another St. Bernard comes charging out. I kick and hit the dogs, desperately trying to free my precious baby from this dog's mouth. The whole thing was surreal. I feared the worst. I was terrified that if I let go of Oreo's leash, he would take off and I might never see him again. In hind sight, maybe I should have let him go to give him half a chance against this huge beast. At one point, Oreo did break free from my grip, and took off, only to have the big dog catch up to him again.



Finally, the owner of the two dogs came out, and several cars stopped to help me. I started screaming numerous expletives at the owner, and explained to the bystanders that this has happened to me before. Oreo looked OK, but he was shaking and growling. A woman looked him over and didn't see any wounds, nor did I, but it was still dark out and hard to see much. I just wanted to get back home. So, I started walking the dogs and noticed Oreo was limping. I yelled to the owner that I would be coming to him if I had any vet bills.

I picked Oreo up and carried him all the way home.

I walked into the bedroom and told Jeff what happened. His first comment was, "I'll kill those dogs." His second comment, "Oh my God, you're covered in blood."

I looked down, and the entire front of my white jacket was now red.

We checked Oreo out in the light and saw he had a few puncture wounds under his hind leg. I put some gauze on it and we brought him to the vet.

The good news is, Oreo will be OK physically. Mentally, I'm not sure yet. I hope this attack doesn't break Oreo's carefree, happy spirit. At the vet, he was growling at the receptionist's sweet collie, which Oreo has never done before. The same thing happened with Munchie after his attack. Every time we went to the vet, Munchkin would bark his head off at the big dogs. I hope Oreo doesn't carry this with him for the rest of his life.

As for me, I'm not sure I will ever be able to walk my dogs again. Happens once, you consider it a fluke, twice, and I just can't trust anyone's dog.

Walking my dogs has always been one of the best parts of my day, and now it's been ruined because of a couple irresponsible dog owners.

No comments: