Sunday, December 16, 2007

my good girl



Misty is my "good child". Misty does whatever I ask, never gives me any back talk, eats whatever I give her, has never been seriously ill or injured, and gives me hugs and cuddles whenever I need one. I tell Oreo to sit, he ignores me, but Misty sits obediently. I call Oreo, he ignores me, but Misty comes promptly. She doesn't chew anything but her toys. I can leave her off a leash, and know she will not stray too far from my side. Misty is a perfect dog. Loyal, sweet, docile, beautiful, tolerant, yet she knows how to have a good time.

I got Misty a few months after Munchkin was attacked. I had spent so much time at our vet, that when a woman was looking for a good home for her shelties, the vet knew I would be a good person to call. The minute I saw Misty prancing around our yard, I knew I had to have her. It was a little rocky for the first few days, but Munchkin took to her, or at least tolerated her presence. Misty adored Munchkin, although she was jealous of him at times. She was always pushing Munchkin to the side whenever I would pay attention to him. This earned her the nickname, "tank".

When Munchkin died, I don't know how I could have gotten through that sad time without Misty. She was hurting too, but her cuddles and enthusiasm when I came home each day made the pain a little easier. I didn't have to come home to a dogless house. That would have been heart wrenching for me. I am lost at home without a dog. It doesn't happen often, but when both dogs are at the vet I don't know what to do with myself. I guess that's how Misty felt when Munchkin died. Misty would wail and cry when we would go to work. She was so lonely without her brother.

Bringing Oreo into the house was a huge adjustment for Misty. She had a meltdown, and had to spend the day at the vet. That was the only big vet bill she has had, so far. After a couple weeks, she settled down, and learned to love her new brother. Misty plays with him and doesn't cry when we go to work anymore. She also keeps Oreo in line. My little babysitter.

Oreo is in love with Misty, just like Misty loved Munchkin. I often think Oreo loves Misty more than he loves me. I worry about how he will react when she dies. I worry about me too. How will I cope without my reliable, velcro dog?

Although Misty is my "good child", she has always played second fiddle to her brothers. Forever the middle child, never getting as much attention as her older or younger brother. She never got the good spot on the couch or bed when Munchkin was around. Oreo is so demanding of my time, that I sometimes feel I am neglecting Misty.

Munchkin was my heart dog. Oreo is my baby. Misty is my good girl, and she is probably the best dog I will ever have.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Well that brought tears to my eyes. I too think she is very special.