Monday, November 5, 2007

young whippersnapper

Today is Jeff's birthday. From now until March 29, he and I are one numerical year apart.

You see, he was born in 1971 and I was born in 1970. Jeff will always be a year younger than me. From March through November, we are 2 numerical years apart. For some reason, that 2 year difference really bothers me.

For example, right now, I am 37 and Jeff is 36. Not so bad. Once my birthday arrives, I will be 38, but Jeff will still be 36 until November. On paper it looks like I am 2 years older, but for the record it's really only 1 year and 7 months.

A few years ago, I was able to convince Jeff that he was actually a year older than he really was, so we were the same age for awhile. This was done through simple math and fast talking. Unfortunately, he eventually caught on and now pays more attention when I try and fool him into believing he's older than he is.

It is so frustrating to me that he will never catch up to my age. I will always be older.

My Babci once told me that I should marry a younger man. Her theory was women live longer, so if you want your husband around in your old age, you need a young whippersnapper.

Good advice, though hard for me to stomach sometimes.

Babci also said to marry someone who loves you more than you love him. Unfortunately, that's not as easy to gauge as the age factor.

I guess, when in doubt, go for the younger man.

1 comment:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Happy belated birthday Sara. Hope it was pawsome.