Monday, November 12, 2007

oops, I forgot...

I went to Target this morning with a bunch of coupons. At the checkout, I made sure to put the coupons right near the register, so the cashier would see them. I also pointed them out to her.

I learned to do this from past experiences. Once the cashier hits "total" and it is sent off into cyber space for credit card approval, there is no changing anything. I once spent 10 minutes at the register, while the girl tried, unsuccessfully, to enter my gift card after hitting "total". Apparently, there is no "escape" or "undo" or "back" button. I had to wait until my next trip to Target to use the gift card. That time, I made sure to hand it to the cashier before she began ringing up my stuff.

There really should be a sign hanging to explain this. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had this happen.

I thought I was ready this time and took all the necessary steps to make sure I got my discount.

After scanning all my items, the cashier hit "total", and then said, "Oops, I forgot your coupons." She began hitting buttons, to no avail. She called over the manager, who told her what to do to get the machine to give me my money back. The cashier said, "Oh, that's easy." The manager walked away.

Not so easy. She just couldn't figure it out. The cashier told me I would have to go to customer service, and they would give me cash for the coupons.

I glanced over at customer service, and saw a line. I told the cashier, "I'm not going over there to wait in a line, I already waited here."

Her response, "It will take the same amount of time for me to figure this out, as it will for you to walk over there and wait."

Hmmm. She may be right, but that's not the response I expected.

Frustrated, I walked over to customer service. After a short wait, I met with the manager again. She said, "Oh, she wasn't able to figure it out?" No, that's why I'm here. She asked,"Did she give you any cash back?" No, that's why I'm here.

After she pushed a bunch of buttons, I finally got my $5.05, but no apology, no "sorry for the mix up."

I try and be patient. There's a reason why these people work at Target. Its better for them to mess up at Target, than at a hospital. However, it shouldn't be this complicated to use a coupon.

No comments: