Sunday, November 11, 2007

I'll take it

Yesterday, a guy, "Jim", came over to look at Jeff's "just in case motorcycle". The bike is 10 years old, but has only 600 miles and is in showroom condition.

I could hear Jeff describing the bike to Jim. Jeff had his "salesman voice" on, which is a really amazing talent. Jim said he didn't really like the color scheme of the bike, a complaint I had shared. The colors are real "girly" - purple, yellow and even some pink. Jeff had already formulated a way around that hurdle. Jeff sold it as being the "in colors" of the early nineties, so it's practically vintage. Plus, the colors are really easy to change. Jeff went on and on, "selling" the bike. Jeff sold so hard, that Jim said, "Why would you sell such a great bike?"


Luckily, Jeff always has a way around that question - just look around the garage. All he has to say is "my wife says I need to get rid of some bikes." Not that I've ever said that, but I don't mind him using me as an excuse. It always makes the buyer feel like he is getting a great deal.

Jeff suggested that Jim take the bike on a test drive up the road. Jeff gave instructions to just go to the end of the road, and come back, otherwise he might end up lost. It gets rural real fast around here. Go half a mile up the road and there are cows, sheep and horses and not much else in the way of landmarks.

Jim drove off, beeping along the way. He was clearly excited to be on this great, showroom condition, nineties vintage bike.

Jeff had me come outside and sit in Jim's car - a Mini Cooper. I've been thinking about my next car and the mini is on my list. He said Jim would take me for a ride when he gets back from his test drive.

It was getting cold, so I went back in the house. I wrapped some Christmas presents. Sorted some laundry. Started making dinner.

Jim still wasn't back. I went down to the basement to suggest Jeff go look for him, but saw Jeff had already thought the same thing.

Eventually, Jeff came back. He too thought Jim had gotten lost, but had had no luck finding him. Jim didn't know our phone number, address, or even our last name to look it up in the phone book. It was getting dark and cold real fast. Jeff said, "Well, at least we have the Mini."

Finally, about an hour later, Jeff sees a bike coming up the road and it turned into our driveway. Jim takes his helmet off and says, "I'll take it!"

I could hear Jim describing how he got lost, and had to ask a cop for directions. He couldn't believe how desolate it was out here. Jeff noticed Jim leaning against the side of the bike in a strange way. Jeff gave the bike a second glance and noticed there was some damage. Jeff asked him, "Did you put the bike down?" He had. Luckily, he was not hurt, or at least didn't admit it.

Once Jim left, Jeff came up for dinner, and said, "He's buying it, whether he wants to or not. So much for my showroom condition bike."

After dinner, Jeff said that he was going to the basement for a few minutes. I know this usually means an hour or two. I heard lots of power tools turning on and off, and it didn't take me long to figure out what he was doing.

Jeff was fixing the damage on the bike. When he finally came back upstairs, I told him he shouldn't have done that. It's not his fault the guy put the bike down. No dealership would have done that. I thought he was being much too nice.

I must have forgotten who I was talking to. Jeff had called Jim, and told him he fixed the damage, but for a price. Of course Jim agreed to pay, and thanked him for making the bike look like new again.

So, Jeff ended up making a few extra bucks on the deal.

Sweet.

I never did get my ride in the mini.

No comments: