Thursday, October 4, 2007

For me????

Last night after dinner, Jeff said he was going out to look at a local guy's motorcycle. "OK", I said, not really paying much attention. I figured he was looking for another donor bike for a chopper or something.

He came home after about an hour, walked in the door, and said,"I bought it," as if I knew what he was talking about.

"Bought what?" I asked.

"The 1967 Suzuki bearcat," he said with a smile, "its so cool."

I was a little confused. I thought he had bought a Buell, which is the bike he typically buys to chop up and use the motor in his custom bikes. This bike was older than both of us. Then, he told me how much he paid for it - $400. He showed me the paperwork he got with it. The current owner bought it in 1977, for a little over $200. He never put it on the road, and he has kept it in his barn for 30 years. The title is about 2 inches by 2 inches, so different from the large titles we have now. Everything on the title and bill of sale was hand written.
"Does it run?" I asked.

"Yea, it runs. It needs some work," Jeff said, "But I really bought it for you."

What? Oh yea, I remember saying I always wanted a 1967 Suzuki Bearcat (sarcasm).

"Not that you'll be able to drive it, or even ride on the back, its kind of small," he continued, "but I know you like old bikes."

He's right, I think they are really cool. I'm sure I'll love it when I see it in person, but does he really believe he bought it for me?

From the way he was grinning from ear to ear as he looked for vintage photos online, I'm not convinced, but thanks for thinking of me Honey.

3 comments:

betty said...

You'll need some vintage clothes to go with your new '67 Suzuki.
Have fun admiring it.
The spokes are cool. They are similar to Jeff's Wildcat 250 spokes. Am I wrong???

betty said...

Oops. I meant to write that the spokes on Jeff's Weapon 250 look similar to ones on the '67 Suzuki.

Sara said...

They are similar. Before Jeff built the Weapon, I told him to build a bike with spoked wheels. I like that old fashioned look. Jeff would call it "old school look".