Thursday, August 2, 2007

slice of bread




I've never eaten the crust on bread. I don't like the taste or texture. When I was growing up, my parents always cut the crust off my sandwiches for me. I would end up with tiny sandwiches. I don't know what they did with the crust. I'm guessing my dad ate it.


Now, when I make sandwiches for myself, I don't cut off the crust. I cut the sandwich in half. I don't think I could eat a sandwich that hadn't been cut in half, preferably diagonally.


At work, I eat my sandwich carefully, as to avoid biting into the crust. I end up with a big pile of crust. Sometimes my co-workers make snide comments about that pile. I take the meat left on the crust out to munch on, but the crust goes in the garbage.

I do the same thing at restaurants. I think my mom gets quite embarrassed when the waitress comes to pick up my plate, and there is a pile of leftover crust. Of course the pile will disappear if my dad is with us.


At Panera's, you get a baguette with your meal. It is really "crusty" on the outside, but wonderfully soft on the inside. I scoop the soft part out and leave the outer crust aside. Jeff and I make a good pair when we go to Panera's - as his favorite part is the top crust of the baguette. So, he gets to eat mine. He always says, "I can't believe you don't eat this, it's the best part." However, Jeff doesn't like the bottom crust, only the top.


My grandfather, Paki, always used to say, "Eat your crust, it'll make your hair curly."


I wonder why he thought I would want curly hair. Maybe its a Polish thing. I wonder what he would think if he knew I often use a straightening iron on my hair.


Yesterday, I read an alarming bit of information. Apparently, the crust of the bread has 8 times the cancer fighting antioxidants as found in the rest of the bread.


I guess I should have been eating the crust all these years.


On the plus side, perhaps I have helped prevent Dad from getting cancer, as he has had all those extra pieces of crusts over the years.


I think its too late to start eating crust now, but maybe I could sell all my crusts. I could market it as "a cancer preventative." I know people sell some pretty strange stuff on EBay, why not bread crusts?

No comments: