Saturday, August 4, 2007

Deep South - Part 2- A Bunny & Rednecks

My first pet in Louisiana was a perfect little white bunny with a pink nose. He looked like the bunnies you see on Easter cards.


We got "Bunny" in the Walmart parking lot. Every weekend, there was someone giving away animals for free in the parking lot. Animals must reproduce rapidly in the south. The bunny was just so cute, we had to bring him home. Total impulse move.


We let Bunny loose in the living room. He hopped around happily and let us hold and cuddle him. The only problem was that every time he hopped, he pooped. It went like this ~ hop, hop, poop, hop, hop, poop....His poop was really tiny. I went around with a plastic spoon and scooped it up as he hopped around.


That night, we put him in a cardboard box when we went to bed.


When I woke up, I went to the box right away, anxious to see my cute little ball of fur. He wasn't there. We hadn't put a lid on the box. We didn't think he could jump that high. Guess we were wrong. Who knows how long Bunny had been loose in our apartment. We found him in our closet. Just follow the poop trail.


Clearly, we had no idea how to care for this rabbit in our apartment. I don't think we even gave him any food or water. So, we decided to find him a good home.


Jeff had befriended the maintence guy, Rick, at our apartment complex. We had been to Rick and his wife, Bonnie's house several times. Rick was a former military guy, and probably the first red neck I ever met. Rick and Bonnie were really nice to us, and I actually enjoyed our trips to their house.


They lived in a house in the middle of nowhere. There was a lot of paneling in their house. I remember their monthly budget hanging on their refrigerator. It was a list in this order: Food, Cigarettes, Beer.... I was most alarmed by what was in their fridge. Dead squirrel. Being a vegetarian at the time, I found that quite horrifying. Welcome to Louisiana. They ate squirrel for dinner. You must have to eat several squirrels to get full.


Jeff and Rick would shoot cans, while Bonnie and I talked. Once, we went there to "pull an engine." A foreign concept to me. Rick and Jeff took an engine out of one truck and put it in another truck. Who knew this was possible, or necessary? Bonnie and I sat on lawn chairs watching. Engine swapping is entertainment in the backwoods of Louisiana.


Rick and Bonnie had lots of animals. They had a fenced in back yard, and several rabbit cages. So, we knew this could be Bunny's new home. We brought Bunny to their house that day, and they were happy to have him.


We went back a few weeks later, and Bunny had grown so much. He was no longer the cute, little easter bunny. He was fattening up considerably. I hardly recognized him.


We later heard that Bunny was gone. We're not sure of the real story. Perhaps a wild animal got in his cage. Maybe he died of natural causes. Maybe, he was Sunday dinner.

No comments: