Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Deep South - Part 6 - Conclusion

Louisiana introduced me to new kinds of people and a new way of life. My ten months in Louisiana brought me in contact with southern belles, beauty queens, military people, anglers, racists, sexists, cajuns, cowboys and red necks. I learned a lot.



I learned that a grocery cart is also called a "buggy", and that you can buy groceries at a place called "Piggly Wiggly."




People eat squirrels, rattlesnakes, and crawdaddies, all of which require a lot of work to get a little amount of meat. McDonald's serves "Cajun fries", and everyone drinks Dr. Pepper.


There are no counties in Lousiana, they are called "parishes". I lived in Vernon Parish. Guess they don't separate church and state down there.

I learned I can't understand people who talk "Cajun". All the car commericals had Cajuns doing the talking. We never knew what they were selling. I also don't understand people from backwoods Arkansas. We had to ask Jeff's friend from Arkansas to repeat something ten times. He kept saying "I like taters and nown'lay". We kept saying, "potatoes and what????" Turns out he was referring to the candy "now and laters." I guess it was just too many syllables for him.



Armadillos are common road kill.




Dance clubs require men to wear cowboy boots, a big cowboy hat, and an even bigger belt buckle.




People can't be buried in Lousiana. The land is too swampy.



It rains a lot in the summer. Everyday at 4PM there is a downpour so strong you have to pull your car off to the side of the road. The road is made with recycled glass chips - kinda slippery when wet. It is still hot after it rains. The mosquitos are as big as most birds. No lie.



Sometimes hurricanes hit. Hurricane Andrew was about to hit us. Everyone was driving north from Lake Charles. I filled my bath tub with water, even though I had no idea what I needed to do that for. We put tape on our windows, and Jeff had to tie a bunch of vehicles down at work. The hurricane never hit us, it was kind of a let down.




Alligators really do cross the road. We saw them. They are big and scary.




All in all, I was glad to return north to modern civilization. My time in the South, made me really appreciate living in a "blue" state. I don't think I could ever live in a "red" state again. I'm glad I got to try it out though, and I did meet a lot of great people, who I will never forget.




Hope y'all enjoyed my Deep South mini series.

No comments: